Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some Sites to See

I'm not affiliated with this guy, but I sure do like browsing his site: Grand Illusions I'm glad that he has lots of videos so that I can see his toys in action without having to buy them.

Once my students find out I'm an avid homebrewer, I get deluged with questions about The World's Greatest Hobby(TM). The answers to almost all questions are here: HowToBrew
John Palmer has written the most excellent intro-to- brewing book. Since he's in 3rd edition now, he's put his 1st edition online so you can read it for free.

I'm not a photographer, but I sure do enjoy good photography. I think Stern Magazine has the best photographic team inside Saturn's orbit. It's a German magazine, so their standards for...um...exposure are sometimes different from American standards, but you may set filters. Towards the top is a link to "Bilder des Tages" (Pictures of the Day.) This gallery is added to daily. Towards the bottom are two gray-background strips with about 4 thumbnails. These lead to "View Photocommunity" and "Photographie" galleries. Very many very nice pictures there: Stern Besides, it's useful to see what some of the Europeans think of us.

Here's a sight you may find occasionally useful;
before there was wiki, there was MathWorld. Type in anything math-ish you like and see what you get. Try "factorial". If there's a formula for something, you can find it here.

Next: Fireball Crosswords This guy makes the best crosswords. He used to edit a daily puzzle, but has backed off to once per week. If you love freakishly hard puzzles, you can subscribe to his weekly puzzle for $10 for a year. You can also buy books of his old puzzles. (Again, I'm not affiliated.)

I am a member of this club: Austin Saengerrunde We own Scholz' Bier Garten, nuff said.

Finally, for your amusement (and hopefully education) here's link to a 10-year-old article from the New York Times. Some things never change: NYTimes

The Calc Ninja

1 comment:

  1. You're quite the fan of Glass-Steagall, eh?

    ReplyDelete